It's been a while since I have posted anything so we have lots of good things to share. On Tuesday, April 29th we went in for our egg retrieval. I was so nervous, but Josh assured me I wasn't going to die. When we were in the prep process before they took me back to the operating room Josh asked me "how many eggs do you think they are going to retrieve?" I told him 12, while he said 17. I thought to myself there is no way they will get 17 eggs. All the ultrasounds the last few times were showing 15. I was sure that I would win this bet!
The actually procedure wasn't bad because they totally knock you out but afterwards it a whole different story! I can honestly say it was one of the worst pains I have ever felt in my life! I didn't want to move because I thought I was going to die. Our nurse, Nina came in and said "I have great news for you guys, guess how many eggs we retrieved?" I guess in my confused state of mind I mumbled 12 while Josh said 17. Nina then told us we were both way off in fact they had retrieved 26 eggs! The whole 26 number took me a while to register and finally after Josh had repeatedly told me 26 eggs I began to cry in amazement. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought 26. We both lost the bet but I was OK with it.:)
On Wednesday, April 30th we got our first fertilization report. Out of the 26 eggs retrieved, 22 were mature enough to be fertilized. The embryologist decided to do a procedure called ICSI on half of the mature eggs. The technique involves very precise maneuvers to pick up a single live sperm and inject it directly into the center of a human egg. So out of the 11 he fertilized doing ICSI 10 made it. Our of the 11 that fertilized on their own 7 made it. As of yesterday we have 17 embryo's growing. Not all of these will make it to day 5 but we at least have something to work with. We will get a report on day 3 This Friday to see how many embryos continue to grow. Then the transfer will be on Sunday. We are very excited and blessed.
Since the egg retrieval (ER) I have been very sore. It's very difficult to sit and stand. Josh has been amazing in helping me. I am so lucky to have him. I have trouble getting in and out of bed but he's right there to help lift me up. He has been a real trooper in giving me the progesterone shots. It's an intramuscular injection into my lower hip and it's pretty thick, he does a great job and it honestly doesn't hurt as bad as I thought it would.
Please keep us in your prayers. God has blessed us with so many miracles along the way and I do trust in him that he knows best and will take care of us.
Love you all!
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment