Monday, November 17, 2008

The latest and greatest...HEARTBURN!

I have never experienced the joys of true heartburn, that is until the last few days. It's horrible and for those of you who have this problem without being pregnant my heart truly goes out to you. IT SUCKS!

I couldn't figure out what the burning in my chest until Josh told me I think you have heartburn. Sure enough he was right! I have tried everything from Tums to Rolaids to Mylanta I even went as far as to drink some vinegar! Still no luck it is still there. Just when I finally start to feel normal it comes back after every item I eat. Sometimes I get it from just drinking water!

I decided to research this whole heartburn topic and this is what I found:

Heartburn (also called acid indigestion or acid reflux) is a burning sensation that often extends from the bottom of the breastbone to the lower throat. Which feels like your having a heart attach! It's caused by some of the hormonal and physical changes in your body. Changes in your body...no? During pregnancy, the placenta produces the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the smooth muscles of the uterus. This hormone also relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach, allowing gastric acids to seep back up, which causes that unpleasant burning sensation. Unpleasant sensation ummm.... I think we need a better word to describe this! Progesterone also slows down the wavelike contractions of your esophagus and intestines, making digestion sluggish. Later in pregnancy, your growing baby crowds your abdominal cavity, pushing the stomach acids back up into the esophagus. Easton is growing so fast he's crowding his mamma! Many women start experiencing heartburn in the second half of pregnancy. At least I just started having this problem and not at 20 weeks! Unfortunately, it usually comes and goes until your baby is born. This just totally makes my day!

I did however promise myself, Josh and Easton that I wouldn't complain about the fire in my chest. I know in 9 more weeks this is all going to pay off. Please if anyone has suggestions for me and my unpleasant burning sensation feel free to send them my way.

3 comments:

Lindsey and David said...

You're looking great! I was getting bad heartburn when I was prego. I found the more flavor something had the more heartburn I got. Try and eat bland things. See if that helps!

Katie said...

Hey girl I agree about the heartburn. IT sucks!!! I have had since about 15 weeks and it keeps getting worse. I find that drinking milk at night before I go to bed helps a lot!!! Try it!!! I love baby Easton and his mommy!!!!

The Overstreets said...

For some reason, milk was the only thing I could drink/eat when my heartburn was really bad...but it was perfect! Nice and smooth and it coated my stomach and calmed the acid...love ya girl!